Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Bills and chores - how do you split up household duties?

Joey, on February 16, 2019 at 14:05 Posted in Living together 0 12

Adulting takes a lot of work! In your house, how are tasks split? Is one person in charge of finances and bills? Do you have separate chores you each take care of? Is one person master of the household calendar? Or do you share everything between you?

Bills and chores - how do you split up household duties? 1

Photo by Judy Nguyen Photography in Toronto

12 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly+Raquel, on April 17, 2022 at 18:06
  • N
    Curious June 2023 Ontario
    Nelly+Raquel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since I’m a teacher and I get home a lot earlier then she does I will be doing most of the household chores. We do a finical spreadsheet monthly and we work on it together
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're in the process of joining our finances. Right now, we end up transferring money between us, depending on what's due when and who needs to buy what and when we both get paid.

I created a daily chore list (neither of us like cleaning!) so we do a small task every day. We try to split it, but I work fewer hours than my husband, so I end up doing most of them! It's not so bad though when it's a little bit every day. So today, for example, is the toilets; tomorrow is dusting.

His days off, he cooks supper. We almost always go grocery shopping together.

We tried making a combined calendar on Google, but neither of us updated it, so now, during our morning phone call, we go over any evening plans or anything happening during the week.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a joint bank account so finances all come out of that. I would say we split the cooking equally. For chores I would say I do 60/he does 40 but he has a more strenuous job with longer hours so with me being home a bit more then him it just makes sense. Plus I have this thing where I have to do more then one thing at once so I am pretty good at multitasking 3 or 4 chores at a time haha

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will have a joint bank account so he will take care of all of the bills. I love doing laundry so I usually do that for him the only thing I don't like doing is dishes. he currently has a roommate who never ever rinses off his dishes so I said Im not touching them. YUCK

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well, I feed the dog and cat in the morning and clean up after the dog. He feeds them supper and cleans up after the cat. All other chores are split 50/50 with him doing washing of laundry but me folding and putting them away etc.

Finances are overlooked by me (I'm going to school for accounting after all), but bills are not split at a specific way as we have a joint bank account. What's mine is his and his is mine!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Meetings...lots of meetings. Before a paycheque comes in we sit and meet and discuss the things that have to be done with it. Leading up to the holidays, or a season of spending, we meet and try to give ourselves a heads up for how we're going to take care of certain expenses.

We both do chores, and separate it by what we prefer. He takes the laundry to the basement, but I fold and put them away. I clean the rest of the bathroom, but he does the toilet. I prefer to clean on a Saturday morning (it's how I was raised), but the agreement is as long as it gets done, we/I won't fuss about when it gets done.

We also have a shared Google calendar to help keep track of upcoming deadlines, payments, etc.

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds like a perfect system!

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like I’m the head of keeping us on track for things, we divide tasks pretty evenly.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have our own way of doing things, he does take care of most of the finances. As far as housework is concerned we split it fairly evenly. We split cooking and cleaning basically 50/50. He cuts the grass more then I do but I do more laundry them him. It works well for us and we are pretty good at picking up the other persons slack when needed.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everything is 50/50. I organize everything in regards to bills, however when it comes to household tasks, we both just know when to pitch in and things get done.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bills: We split 60/40 since he makes more money than me. We also alternate who pays for the groceries every week, which ends up being pretty even.

Chores: I think it's just up to whoever is in the mood for them. I like cleaning the washroom and dusting, and he enjoys tackling the dishes and moping. We live in a pretty tiny condo, so that covers most of the space hahaha.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bills: he bought the house we live just before we started dating, so all the bills for the house are in his name. I pay him half the bills each month (like rent lol) and we have a spreadsheet where we track bills, along with household expenses like groceries.

Chores: We don't have a set schedule, but we try to split the chores up evenly. If he did the dishes last time, I try to do them next and vice versa, same with cat litter and vacuuming/house cleaning.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics