Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tracy
Beginner October 2020 Alberta

Bouquets: DIY vs. Professional

Tracy, on December 10, 2018 at 13:57 Posted in DIY 0 10
Hi all!
Me and my FH (as I’m sure the vast majority of you are too) are trying to keep our costs down.

In an effort to do this, I am considering making my own bouquets. To do it myself, it’ll cost about $450 (including boutonnières), but to get it professionally done, it’ll cost closer to $650.

Is the $200 worth it to have a pro do it, or are bouquets fairly easy to do yourself?

Thanks in advance!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Genesis, on December 19, 2018 at 19:58
  • Genesis
    Newbie August 2019 Alberta
    Genesis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would pay the extra 200 to get them professionally done! Then you’ll know you have peace of mind and you don’t have to worry about it and it’s one more thing off your plate! Worth the $200.
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was fully set on making my own, even bought some flowers to test one. I then discovered wooden flowers and got custom bouquets for about half the cost
    Edit* making bouquets was not as easy as I planned.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The extra money is so worth it in my opinion! You're going to be so busy with everything else and it's not something that can be done at an earlier date. I'm a big fan of DIY and have done a lot of stuff that way, but I definitely would suggest paying the extra money for a professional florist!
  • Nikki
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been having the same debate... I really don't care that much about flowers to pay hundreds of dollars for them, but I would still like something simple. I've been thinking of having each of my bridesmaids carry a single white flower (haven't decided which kind yet) with a little ribbon and then doing a larger bouquet for myself. I've looked into getting flowers and Costco or Sobeys vs. getting 1 bouquet done by a professional...

• Tracy
    Beginner October 2020 Alberta
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all the advice!
    I talked it over with my FH and since we are DYI-ing the invitations, centrepieces and other decor, we have decided to go the professional route for the bouquets! Too much risk doing them myself with real flowers (silk are twice the price, what?!).
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Real flowers require buckets of water, a lot of time IMMEDIATELY before the wedding the put together, and are a pain to transport. You don't want to be surrounded by buckets of water, stabbed with needles and thorns and picking loose leaves out of your hair 24 hours before the wedding, IMO. $650 is a great price.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are doing fake flowers, I would definitely DIY but I would leave real flowers to the pros!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If its real flowers. I would much rather pay someone. because it would probably cost me more in getting floral scissors and other materials than paying someone. and wouldn't be worth the stress/headache the day before the wedding for a 200 savings (you can't make them too early or they will not look right).

fake...if I was more crafty. would be definitely something I would look into.

talk to the florist and see what could be done cost savings wise. you never know. I know when I went to my florist and she had told me depending on size/flower etc bridesmaids bouquets are 80-150. when we decided on what we were doing (small posy style bouquets...in season flowers). I asked if she could keep it between 50-70 a bouquet and she is.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you considered etsy? I got my bouquet done ($300) 6 bridesmaids bouquets ($30 each) and 8 boutioneeres ($16 each)! Just an idea might be able to save on some costs there and save on the DIY stress! They were fake flowers of course! I wanted to be able to keep things after!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Tracy! First off, I think $650 is cheap but it ultimately depends on what your overall budget is and how much of it you've allocated to your bouquets and boutonnières. Second off, how good are your DIY skills? That would play a big part into whether or not you want to DIY it lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics