Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie September 2019 Ontario

Buck and Doe Question

Amanda, on February 8, 2019 at 12:42 Posted in Before the wedding 0 9
So typically for a buck and doe what im hearing is that the wedding party donates a prize for it. However we have gotten so many now that we technically do not require more. We are doing a draw for a bucket of booze so thought we could ask them to donate to that we are doing a gift card so thought they could contribute? How do i do this without coming across rude or anything? Anyone do this in the past?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on June 17, 2019 at 01:46
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would get them to donate a gift card and you can make a gift card tree! Then they can spend as much as they can afford and no one should be put out by this!
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have never been to one of these but it sounds amazing!How do people win the prize?Do you sell raffle tickets to people just coming to the wedding or to everyone?
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Too much or not enough?? We also have regular prizes that are valued at roughly $250 each:

1. Wine (large decorative wine glass from costco, wine, bottle opener, etc.)

2. Lottery Tree (...lottery tickets... on a tree....)

3. Fitness (fitbit, gym memberships, protein powder, shakers, etc.)

4. Man-Pamper (MANicure, hair cut at barber shop, paintball, movies, etc.)

5. Scandalous (....y'know... from stores like Love Nest... wink-wink stores...)

6. Fun Night In (popcorn machine, movies, Netflix GC, candy, etc.)

7. Scentsy/Spa (wax warmers, GC for Thermea Spa, etc.)

8. Coffee/Tea (Keurig, Mugs, Tea Pot, etc.)

9. "Kael" (tools and beer!)

10. "Tori" (blender and tequila for margaritas!)

11. Beauty (Spa-facial, cut+colour for hair, lotions, body wash, etc.)

12. Games (whole bunch of board games!)

13. Gardening (4X8 garden box, seeds, gloves, etc.)

14. Car Stuff (GC for oil change, car detailing items, air fresheners, etc.)

15. Dog's Life (dog bed, treats, Pawsh Dog GC for daycare + pawdicures, etc.)

Oh it better be a blast!! SO MUCH EFFORT!! lol Smiley tongue

• Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow Tori. Totally not the list I was expecting. Wish I lived in Manitoba to attend lol! Sounds like some great ideas but probably not likely here. I hope you guys have a blast! Thanks for your help.
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Grand Prizes (4 of them each valued at roughly $500 or more)

- Backyard Bon Fire (fire pit, picnic table made by my FH, Karaoke DJ, s'more kit, etc.)

- Kitchen Kit (pots & pans, bake set, waffle maker, slow/fast cooker, knives, glass carafs, etc.)

- Ecopoxy Table (my dad made one with blue crushed glass, it's a side table size)

- Baba's Freezer (a freezer, perogies, holupchi, cheese rolls, beet leaf buns, sausage)

Golden Prize (1 of them valued at $1,500)

- "Stoner's paradise" (bong, lava lamp, munchies, pipe, rolling papers, and of course because you can't put actual weed in the packages as of yet - a visa card for probably $1,000 or whatever it costs to buy roughly 20 grams at our local stores)

Most items are bought by the wedding party but a good portion of the "fluffer" material is donated by businesses in the city as a "social donation" and in return we advertise their company. As for how we came up with them, we go to many socials every year as well as pinterest helps with raffle prize ideas.

No games. That is the major difference between a Manitoba Social and a Buck&Doe/ Stag&Doe.

No worries about the questions!! It's what the community is here for!!

• Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Tori
    My wedding party is thinking of throwing a stag and doe. You sound like the expert here. Traditionally, my culture does not throw these types of parties and so I'm not familiar. What are your grand and golden prizes? How did you access these prizes? Will you be holding a lot of games to with these?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to help out as much as possible.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You seem to have everything in order for your Buck & Doe. It doesn't rude to ask your wedding party to donate the items your wanting.

Our MOHs along with the salon staff threw us a Buck & Buck 2 months before the wedding. They put baskets, games and prizes together along with raffles giving towards the end of the night. We just enjoyed ourselves with our friends and family members (my in laws).

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We do not have Buck & Does in BC... however, I think like Tori said, you could send out a group chat just simply stating you have enough physical prizes, if anyone wants to contribute more, please arrange to donate towards a gift card.

I think it's more rude to let people essentially 'waste' money on what you don't want, than respectfully telling them what you'd appreciate that they do.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well for my Wedding Social - we are having 15 raffle prizes, 3 grand raffle prizes, and 1 golden raffle prize.

If you are set on a small number of prizes then maybe just send out a mass text/ FB message indicating what you have and that you are all done with that part of your Buck and Doe but if they are willing and able to help out they are more than welcome to put money towards a gift card that you are going to be getting as a last prize?

Not rude at all! In my wedding party people would prefer if I just told them what I need and they will get it. They don't want to think about it and at the end of the day they are going to contribute as much as they can, they don't care what it is they give - it's not for them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics