Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mikaela
Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick

David's bridal exchange

Mikaela, on July 18, 2019 at 08:35 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12
So, I'm in a bit of a predicament. Unfortunately, less than 3 weeks before my wedding I had a bridesmaid show her true colours and decide that she no longer wanted to have anything to do with my wedding, meanwhile be a bridesmaid. Despite much effort to try to resolve things with her, I had become enemy #1 to her (seemingly due to her narcissist, controling boyfriend unfortunately). Obviously it is extremely upsetting to lose someone I considered my best friend, meanwhile in such an explosive and dramatic fashion that it all went down.
While having significant anxiety, my sister in law offered to step up and step in. I had paid for my original bridesmaid's dress but it's a size 4 and my sister in law is a size 8 normally in dresses. I'm assuming the dress won't be able to be let out 2 sizes. I was wondering if anyone has has any experience doing exchanges with David's bridal? The dress is still in the original shipping bag, still sealed with the tags on, unaltered.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Tamara, on July 19, 2019 at 08:08
  • Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am so happy this all worked out. The girls in Halifax are so wonderful and I am glad they were able to help you out. Horray for happy endings!

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Amazing how much difference there can be from store to store - so happy they were able to help you sort this out. Smiley smile

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Whew! I am so happy the Halifax store is being so helpful!! What a relief!
  • Mikaela
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Mikaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi everyone, thank you kindly for all of your messages!
    I have had two different encounters with David's bridal.
    First, I live in Quebec and we don't have David's bridal here, I had set up my account and everything with a David's bridal in Ontario where my parents live, so it wasn't as easy as just popping in to talk to them. I've been dealing with them for all of my bridesmaids dresses (7 of them), and that's the store the dress was originally ordered from, so I figured it would be best to start there.
    I called the store and they told me that a 4 could not be let out to an 8, but I figured as much. I asked about exchanging it for a bigger size and they were adamant about their no exchange policy even though it is a dress from the David's bridal collection and is literally still in the same packaging it was shipped in, still heat sealed and everything. I tried to ask if there was some other suggestions they had for me to help me out and they told me to find a girl who would fit the 4. So, obviously not impressed I decided to call the store in Halifax where my SIL lives and they were sooo polite!
    They agreed that it's not possible to alter a 4 to an 8 but they did have a 12 in stock in the right dress and colour that they will put on hold so she can come try it on. They said it's possible to bring the dress down 2 sizes. They also said that given the circumstances and the fact that the dress is in prefect condition, even still packaged that it shouldn't be an issue to exchange it, it just needs manager approval.

It was a way more pleasant experience dealing with them than the other store and it seems like should she not be able to squeeze into the 4, they have given us another option with the 12 and reassured me that they would work on helping me find a solution.
    The size 4 dress has been shipped from Montreal to Halifax now and we will see what happens when we it gets there on Monday!

Thank again every one!
    When people ask me how I've managed to plan my wedding on my own, without a wedding planner, I always tell them "why pay for a wedding planner when you can have the whole wedding wire community?!"
    You're all awesome! 💕
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its sad to hear your best friend left the wedding party due to her boyfriend and befriending you. Sometimes personalities are unpredictable to overlook for the most part.

It would be best to inquire with David's Bridal if its a custom made dress and to get it in time for your SIL to get it for your day. Your lucky to have such a sister that way to help out when its needed the most.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow. That is not a fun thing to happen, and so sorry that you have to go through this so close to your wedding, but also amazing that your sister in law has stepped up.

I think you have a better chance with the exchange since it is unaltered and tags are still on, but like Katelyn has said, the worst they can say is no.!

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depending on style, if you can’t exchange it, could you get it let out and add a corset back? It would give you more flexibility in the sizing but may be a bit pricey.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is awful. I'm really sorry that you're dealing with that so close to your wedding. I'd go into David's Bridal and just let them know your situation. I know they have a policy about no returns/exchanges, but you can for sure just ask them.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My gosh, I honestly have been having a dress problem somewhat similar to you but for a different reason. I have 2 girls that decided they would order dresses smaller than what they were at the time and from there I had to devise a plan!

At the time I was thinking that they wouldn't be able to lose the weight in time so we agreed that we could trade dresses around as long as we could get everybody fitting into a dress (other than the MOH who had sparkles on her dress to stand out).

Now - 1 of them has lost the weight, and the other one lost WAY more weight than anticipated! So we may end up trading dresses around if it can't be brought in (I think she has lost like 3 dress sizes or so).

• Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! I am so sorry that happened to you. To be honest, I was feeling like a bridesmaid might drop out of my party as well given her attitude about things. There is probably something they can do to help and I'm sure they will do all they can. Keep us posted on what they say. It will be good information to be able to pass on if someone ever needs to know in the future.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry this happened - and kudos to your SIL for stepping up! I agree with Katelyn - worst thing they can so is say no, so it's worth a shot. Good luck, keep us posted!

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The worst thing that could happen is they say no. I would talk to them maybe explain the situation. I believe I had heard a story about someone having a hard time with an exchange but it was for a wedding dress and the circumstances were different so I would check with David's bridal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics