Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Curious November 2019 Ontario

Do people even want to eat wedding cake?!

Megan, on March 11, 2019 at 21:04 Posted in Wedding reception 0 14
So a bit of background, we have a dessert as part of our dinner and a late night pastry bar with various tarts, cakes, and cookies. My SO and I aren't big dessert people in general so we were thinking we don't need a cake. We also aren't very traditional, but my mom says "You have to have cake!"... Can it just be small and basically for decoration? Do people actually want to eat wedding cake?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Shruti, on May 9, 2019 at 01:42
  • Shruti
    Beginner July 2019 Alberta
    Shruti ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not having cake for ours ... we have a variety of food items , fresh fruits & veggies and Indian sweets .
    So between all that , I don’t think anyone will want to eat wedding cake ( just looking at the thick icing on cakes is enough to fill me up lol )
    So you can definitely go with a smaller size cake for those who want to do it the traditional way and maybe save the top tier for anniversary ( if you choose to do so )
    Good luck !
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did cake and a second dessert chosen part of the menu as plated service. I do find that variety does leave you wanting more and the cake gets lost and wasted.

As a guest, I love dessert to a minimal and less options. This way the cake can be eaten.

For our wedding, there was the choice debated to go full out for the showcase prize cake and wasted cost or being efficient smaller tiers. I made the choice to go 3 tiers with only the top tier left to take home. Alternative desserts were also chosen as a secondary which finished.

• Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think with all of the dessert options you have, a cake would not be missed!
    We aren't doing a cake at our wedding. Neither of us like cake (at. all!). We have fresh fruit being served with our dinner buffet and then are serving donuts as our late night snack so we thought that would be plenty.
    I've been to several weddings that didn't have cake and no one missed it. At my brother in law's wedding, they cut the cake and then it was taken to the back to be prepared for serving and it was never seen again (and none of use even realized until a couple months later that the cake was never served!)
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided to go the cupcake route. The bakery we chose even provides little take out boxes if people are still full and want to take theirs home to enjoy later.

I am always a fan of wedding cake though at weddings I have attended. I love dessert. I'm secretly hoping there are cupcakes leftover after mine for me....

• A
    Newbie May 2022 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I had a huge discussion about this. Both our parents like the idea of having a cake and having guests have the choice to get a slice. We feel that people don't eat cake as much as before and spending $500 + for something that will go to waste is not worth it. We are considering doing cake pops, since they are timbit sizes and fondant is not needed. That way, it's not too sweet and our guests can take as much or little as they want.
  • Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks so much for responding! I appreciate the perspective Smiley shame A wedding really is the ultimate indulgence especially if it's your own!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think cakes are a nice visual touch, but do you need it? NO. Will people remember it? Probably not. I can't remember a single cake from all the weddings I've attended and I'm still debating whether or not I really need one at mine.

• Megan
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Cheesecake is definitely a weakness of mine!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you have enough sweets that people won't miss a cake - and I have a sweet tooth!

You could get a small, one-tier cake for cutting/keep your mom happy and not serve it. Or you could not do cake at all if it's not for you.

We're doing a one-tier cake with cupcakes, so guests that want a bit more sweet stuff definitely can! Our late night snack is on the savoury side (thinking poutine bar!) so having cupcakes won't be too many sweets.

I also find icing makes a difference - I'm not a huge fan of fondant, it takes like sugary play-dough to me, but buttercream is where it's at IMO!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are only having a small tier to do the cake cutting - but our dessert for the night is dainties and s'mores! No need for cake IMO, either people won't like the kind, or the icing is too sugary, or blah blah blah *insert inevitable complaining here.

When I go to a wedding I don't even think of cake, as long as the main food is good and the drinks are flowing - I'm a happy camper! Plus, the late night snack is on my mind - not cake.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are skipping the entire cake scenario. Neither of us like cake, dessert is in the meal, and I am having pumpkin pie tarts as our favors - so that is plenty of enough sweet treats. Our venue adds on a cost if we want to bring in an outside cake, or we can order theirs which are pricey. So neither of us feel a loss at not getting a cake cutting photo or any of the other things that come with that tradition. So far, we have had about 50/50 when its comes to reactions regarding the cake. Some people FEEL really strongly about their being no cake, and others totally get it. The more wedding planning I do, the more interesting strong opinions come out of random sources.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always feel like I'm in the minority when it comes to wedding cake but.... I love it! I love desserts but since I try to eat very healthily day to day, I don't indulge much. Part of the reason I look forward to weddings is the chance to eat some guilt-free cake Smiley xd

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have the same thing at our venue. We are thinking of doing just a small cake for the two of us. To have that night and then most likely freeze it for our first anniversary.
    I am not a cake person ( just cheesecake ) so when I go to weddings and there is this crazy wedding cake I don’t eat it. I find more goes to waste.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am 100% in the same boat! We are having a sweet table as well as a buffet style 2 Indian desserts so we opted out of serving cake! We ARE getting a small 2 tier cake for show/cake cutting photos/save the top tier for our first anni! But we are not serving it at all! The sweet table will be enough for guests! I have found from myself and others... after a full meal and dancing, people dont want a full piece of cake, a quick sweet bite is just enough!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics