Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Samantha
Newbie October 2022 Ontario

Engagement party, yay or nay??

Samantha, on June 23, 2019 at 11:53 Posted in Before the wedding 0 10
My fiancé and I have been engaged for 2 years( Feb, 28, 2018). I'm wondering, of this too long to have an engagement party now? My FMIL and Mom were apparently trying to plan one, when we first got engaged but it all fell through the cracks and never happened. My sister recently asked if she could throw us one, but I feel like the time has come and gone to have one?
We haven't decided on a venue or anything yet - still in the planning process

10 Comments

Latest activity by Kathryna, on September 19, 2019 at 07:18
  • Kayla
    Newbie September 2019 Manitoba
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Of course have one! its a great way to get everyone together to celebrate your love!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say go for it! and if people ask why now after 2 years say why not!! Plus bc your date is still some time away it will give you some excitement in the planning part.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, I doubt anybody is going to turn down a party.... lol

I didn't have one because we didn't do it right away and then didn't feel like it was "okay" to have one, but I would say that if it's a year before the wedding then it's all good. Which if your wedding is Oct. 2022 - I say go for it!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that considering your wedding is still far off, you could still have an engagement party.

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Samantha,

Personally, I would say go for it. No harm can come from it. Only good intentions. With that being said, Myself and my spouse have been together seven years. I am a wondering the same thing. Should I have an engagement party?

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly we didn't have one! Too many expenses already we didn't want to add this too. 2 of our friends got engaged about a week after us so we went out for a group dinner and that was kinda it I guess? Nothing official but we went to celebrate the 2 couples and it was perfect! Everyone paid for their own dinner and it was nice and easy!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think since your wedding is so far away, it would be ok to have the engagement party. It's about half-way through your engagement so it'll get people geared up and excited for the wedding. My engagement is 2 years and I had my engagement party just over a year.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think it’s too late especially since your wedding isn’t within the next couple months.
    I say if they want to plan one for you to just go for it!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can have your Mom, sister, and FMIL put together a engagement party for you and your fiancé. There is still time since its not so close to the date. Though you feel you two want to be celebrated, go for it. Feel you don't need to celebrate the engagement, don't have to force yourself to go through it.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm really torn on this one! Part of me feels that you are right, it's been too long now... but on the other hand, your wedding is over three years away, so it's not like you're having the E party today and the wedding tomorrow - wedding invitations haven't gone out yet...

If you want one and your sister really wants to throw one for you, I'd probably lean slightly towards saying go for it, given how far away the wedding is Smiley smile I'd be curious to see what the other gals think though!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics