Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick

Gel or press on?

Emily, on May 23, 2019 at 08:02 Posted in Beauty 0 17

Im looking for the best option when it comes to getting my nails done for the day of. keeping in mind we are paying for everything our selves and i'm not a big "nail" person anyways.

so question being go all out and get gel nails done or do the fake press on nails . don't want to spend a whole lot on nails that I will probably want off the next day

17 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on June 11, 2019 at 14:46
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've also never tried acrillic nails, so I'd go with either shellac or dip powder nails. Both are long-lasting and feel completely natural!

• S
    Curious August 2020 Alberta
    Shyrelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you're not really a nail person do you honestly want extravagant nails? There's nothing wrong with it if you do of course! Just personally for me I've never ever done fake nails so there's no chance I'm doing it for my wedding, why be someone else on my day? I'm going with a new bottle of polish from Walmart.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I recommend Shellac. I did shellac and I’m so glad I did! It helped up great and I didn’t have to worry about it chipping. I usually have longer nails but mine kept breaking leading up the wedding so I had super short ones but they still looked great Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm an avid shellac-er.. Gel can ruin your nails especially if you don't plan on keeping it up. Shellac is a lot gentler but won't chip like regular polish.. I would definitely go for shellac. I would be nervous I would lose a press on

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree get a shellac manicure and you'll be good!! Gel is a lot more serious (I did it because my nails are super weak and I needed it) but press ons never last for me... they are always popping off and just annoying
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would totally get shellac. I’ve tried press on nails and they are the worst! They come off like nothing, and it’d be better not to be worried about whether or not your nails will be coming off or not lol
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I vote for shellac as well - press on will come off way too easily. I'm a nail girl so I've tried everything lol

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would go get shellac! Its just like nail polish but it cures in the light and stays on so well and won't chip off on ya

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do Gel for sure. Some press on nails will stay really good, and others may not. I wouldn't want to stress about a nail falling off during the day.

like Joey said have you thought of just traditional nail polish on your natural nails? or even shellac?

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmm. Press-ons will be easiest to remove, but gel will feel more natural and secure. Are you also considering standard nail polish?

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do gel polish! you can get even get at home gel polish kits if you want to keep it low maintenance - the sally hansen one you can get at shoppers is pretty good, and doing it this way means you won’t damage your natural nail. don’t waste your time with press on nails. they never look natural and imagine one falling off on your wedding day
  • Carly
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Speaking fro experience I have had both press on and gel nails before and so I would suggest gel. Like Amanda said you can be a nude color and just have the gel nails short. But with the press ons you run the risk of them falling off. You can always shop around for nail salons as they will usually offer different price ranges. And if you are just getting color and little to no design then the price isn't too bad.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say just get something very natural, either a nude color or even a light pink and get the Gel nails so you don't have to worry about chipping nails during any pictures.

You may end up liking the very nude colors and keeping it on afterwards. I am not the biggest nail person either, so I will have very short and plain nails on my wedding day. Smiley smile

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Press on if you don’t want them to be on for more than a day!

Gels are expensive and good for long term use.
  • Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would paint my own nails but I have a bag habit of biting and chewing my nails so there is not much left to them! I wish I had long natural nails but Smiley sad I can never seem to keep them for to long

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would go with the press on - and if not that then just regular nail polish on your nails. I'm strongly against Gel/Shellac nails though as they ruin your nails when you take it off and it's a pain. My nails used to be unusually strong and then I got them done for my Engagement photo's and for a good month or two they were breaking all the time as they have to shave your nail down...

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you just want them off the next day, then do the press ons, bc they are inexpensive you could get a trial pair and see how easy they are to apply and see how well the glue stands up and how long they stay on for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics