Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Frequent user July 2019 Ontario

Help with footwear!

Rachel, on January 13, 2019 at 19:12 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 18

I'm struggling with what to wear on my feet!! I suffered a back injury a few years ago and although it has healed up somewhat, I still cannot wear heels or flats with no arch support, as my back aches very badly if I do (after only an hour or so in bad shoes!). The last thing I want is to struggle with back pain on my wedding day! We are getting married at our local Pioneer Village that is all grass and dirt paths, and our wedding is quite casual (garden party attire). I had decided to wear Birkenstocks in antique lace (as my dress is Ivory)...but since I made this decision SEVERAL people have told me I'm crazy and that Birkenstocks will ruin my look.

Am I crazy?? I cant be the only bride to wear Birkenstocks on her wedding day! I didnt think it was a bad idea (afterall, every summer I live in Birks. My back never aches in them!), but all the naysayers have me second guessing myself...what do you all think??

18 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on January 20, 2019 at 15:34
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you're going to look beautiful with your Birks and that Pioneer Village is a great venue! The important thing is that you're comfortable so screw what other people say!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wear the Birks. I LOVED my wedding shoes and the only photo they are in is one of me holding up my skirt specifically for a shoe photo. If you're wearing a long dress your guests will hardly see your shoes and it certainly won't "ruin" you look. What will ruin your day is being in pain!!

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like these! I may try to find something similar for the day after brunch! Smiley smile
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks ladies! You are all amazing!! I appreciate your words of encouragement!!
  • A
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allyson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wore Keds under my dress for my first wedding, I replaced the laces with lace ribbon ...and my matron of honour wore birks and another bridesmaid wore sneakers. Nobody really saw my feet and I wanted to be comfortable and have fun! Everybody loved it.
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can tell you personally (and I don't have back pains) that I never wear heels. I am wearing pink sparkly converse for my footwear.
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yay!! I knew I couldnt be the only bride to choose Birks hehehe this made my day!!

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wear whatever makes you comfortable!! I don't like heels so am either wearing birks or keds Smiley smile
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wear what you are most comfortable in. and what will cause you the least amount of pain.

my friend got married on a beach. was barefoot. and later at the "reception" portion she wore birks. no one will notice your shoes.

don't listen to those people.

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If I didn't wear Birks I would try to find another sandal to wear as our ceremony is in the grass. In case it rains in the days leading up, heels wouldn't be practical. I would find a fancier sandal, but they are usually flat and I'm nervous that it would hurt my back, even just wearing them for the hour until the reception. The pair in the picture is the Birkenstocks I would wear.

Help with footwear! 1
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For anybody who doesn't have back pain - I would say try to tough it out until the reception if you can - but if it's going to hurt your back for the rest of the day then screw it! Wear your Birks!!

I know for me, I will push through wearing heels as long as I can but I FOR SURE have a pair of flip flops to change into!! I may even go right ahead and wear just socks in fact!! (And I don't have back pain, so that's why I can push through.)

I would love to see your Birks though!!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Please, PLEASE! Wear what makes you comfortable! Trust me with ceremony and photos and reception you will be walking around non stop, wear what ever will help you be most comfortable throughout the day! If heels make your back hunt in only an hour avoid them at all costs! That is the last thing you want to worry about on your wedding day! If your dress long? To the floor? If it is when you have no worries but tell your photographer to maybe avoid any photos that show your feet completely but your dress will likely keep them hidden! Dont risk your health on wearing some dumb high heels that might not even be seen under the dress!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, you definitely don't want to spend YOUR wedding in pain just because some people said you can't!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just chiming in here to agree. Your comfort comes first! It’s -your- wedding day, not theirs. And you can’t be going round with a bad back because you gave in to what other people want. If you’re wearing a long dress it’s not like anyone will see them anyway and if they do then who cares! I’ll be wearing whatever’s comfortable when I get married that’s for sure!
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks!! My dress is long! I needed to be reaffirmed haha I have been second guessing myself too much lately! Wedding planning pressure is real!
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! You're right, I need to take care of my comfort needs above all. I know I can be comfortable in Birks, and my dress is long! (It's fancier than I had set out to buy so that's also throwing me off) but my feet will be hidden! And I'll just make sure my toes are really pretty so if anyone sees my feet that's what they'll focus on! Haha!
    All the best to you next weekend!! Fingers crossed for decent weather...but I do love the idea of your boots! They're super cute!! I say go for it! Canadian weather is nuts, keep your toes cozy!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    First of all, the number one most important thing is your comfort, and the ability for you to enjoy your wedding day, not in pain!

Second, if you are in a long dress, almost NO ONE will see your shoes. Just because MOST people still think brides should where fancy heels just because its their wedding, even though you want to RIP your feet off by the first dance... doesn't mean you need to go through that pain and discomfort.

I wanted to wear heels, so that I didn't have to hem my dress. But even still, they are quite comfy and just under a 3" heel... I'm still seriously considering doing our photos jn my "fancy" Timberland boots Haha. (We are getting married next weekend and its most likely cold rain I'm dealing with outdoors).

Go with your gut. Wear the shoes you know will let you dance the night away without a second thought!

Help with footwear! 2
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it would be fine, especially since it's a more casual/garden wedding!

You shouldn't have to sacrifice your personal comfort just because people tell you it'll ruin your look. Plus if your dress is long, you really won't see a lot of your shoes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics