Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexandra
VIP November 2019 British Columbia

Holidays in your Home!

Alexandra, on December 18, 2018 at 14:38 Posted in Living together 0 23
Hello my lovelies!

So we are exactly one week away from Christmas & two weeks away from 2019! So n the spirit of the holiday season, what is it like your home? Which holiday do you celebrate and how big is it in your house? What kinds of traditions do you & your partner have? I want to hear all of it because I get excited about things like this!

Personally I love Christmas and I always have! Our house is a little messy right now but our tree is up and it’s beautiful even though you can’t really see the decorations in this picture.

For us, my fiancé and I will spend Christmas Eve at his parents’ house, then we go to midnight mass with his family since they’re very religious. Then on Christmas Day we go to my parents’ house and celebrate over there. So basically I get two days of turkey in a row which you will never hear me protest because I love a good Christmas dinner with some turkey!

Tomorrow my fiancé and I are actually going downtown to see the Christmas fair and it’s actually his treat for Christmas and I’m very excited because I love all things Christmas if you haven’t already gathered!

Can’t wait to hear what you guys like to do for the holiday season, and I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Holidays in your Home! 1

23 Comments

Latest activity by Cecil, on January 10, 2019 at 04:48
  • Cecil
    New South Wales
    Cecil ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and I like to spend the Christmas holidays together and in the evening enjoy to meet our parents. It is a great holiday when all family gathers together so I really like this warm spirit and energy. All together we watch TV, have a lot of conversations and discussions and afterward we enjoy walking outside and taking a lot of photographs. It is my favorite, the most soulful holiday.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We usually spend Christmas apart since he's in law enforcement and often has to work it and I go home for a bit to visit family. We still have a tree and decorate it, and watch Christmas movies all December drinking egg nog/hot chocolate.

Before my flight, my FH and I exchange gifts and he drives me to the airport if he's not working. We usually spend New Year's Eve together back home too!

This year, we are both able to visit family, but we still did our gift exchange before we left. However, he is working New Year's Eve so I'm going out with friends and having a girl's night!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is so incredibly helpful when your family is easygoing. that is mine. they understand family situations/dynamics change.

maybe start this year something little with your fiancé if you can. say between mass and a family's house, grab a quick drink somewhere and just have 30 minutes just you two. and that may also help with all the frustration.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mimosas!!!! There's a good idea! They always remind me of being on vacation and what better time to dream of the beach when you're surrounded in snow haha!

Also goooooooooooooood luck.... that is something I could never handle. Retail employees have all my gratitude for dealing with all that!

• Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    LOL we all have mimosas so that’s fun! And I wish I could sleep in Boxing Day, but unfortunately I work retail and I have to go deal with that chaos!
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly wouldn’t have known it was fake 😂 it looks real in that pic! We couldn’t have a real one because a) we live in a basement suite and logistically getting it in would be a nightmare and b) it’s really hard to find thinner real trees and we wanted something tall since there’s a high ceiling but thin to not take up much space.

My parents have two trees since they have a family room in the basement and then the living room upstairs, so they have a real tree upstairs and a fake tree downstairs. So I get to enjoy the smell of the real tree on Christmas Day!
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was me! I had the princess switch on while I was putting my tree up! That was a feel good movie for sure!
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ooooh pretty! And I was actually surprised/impressed that our lights were relatively untangled! It only took me like two minutes to get the strands out and test them. If you have lots of lights and don’t already have one I definitely recommend one of the wheels that has the handle for winding them up. My parents have one and it’s amazing. Only reason we didn’t get one was cause we have so few lights since our tree is so thin.
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Watching The Princess Switch, with the tree on, and a Twisted Peppermint candle lit! My heaven. I love Christmas! Fiancé isn’t actually used to celebrating Christmas much, but my family goes all out. We see my moms family every year and it’s just the best.

Holidays in your Home! 2
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the advice! Definitely looking forward to making my own traditions. My family is easygoing so I know they will be ok with alternating, it just hurts my heart. As long as my family is ok though, I think I can hang Smiley smile
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

His family is in Montreal and my family is in Saskatoon, SK . He goes home every christmas since the military pays for his flights and he only gets to go home at christmas.. Last year we were dating at this time and I went with him to Montreal, I absolutely loved it! And this year, because of my recent job change I was unable to take time off for christmas so Im in SK and he's in montreal Smiley sad but this will be our only christmas away from each other..

we plan to travel back to Montreal every christmas! his family does things a lot more different than mine, and I want to be surrounded by his family during this time! other than that we haven't made any traditions yet since we don't live together! so next christmas we will start something new Smiley smile

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The alternating is definitely difficult. we have been doing it for a few years now. and we do the alternating because my family lives further away (we are in Windsor, and my family is in Oshawa). so logistically it is just better to alternate.

the best thing I can personally recommend. and it won't seem like the best solution. deal with it now. enjoy it and make the best of it. when you are married or when you have kids (whatever you and FH decide). you can choose together what you want to do/what traditions you will keep/change.

the big thing in dealing with this...is having FH's support. and hopefully he sees your frustration over it. a few years ago. my FMIL tried to push so hard for us to fly Christmas day to meet her in florida (she lives in the states). and she kept pushing pushing. until FH snapped and defended my family/me and that it was my family's turn and she would have to deal. she hasn't pushed or fought us on Christmas ever since.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When talking about Christmas, you need a tree pic. I gave in to my FH and we have a fake tree. one day I will go back to a real (and the future kid can decorate the fake). haha

Christmas alternates every other year, as my family doesn't live close by (they are a 4.5 hour drive), and FH's dad is local, but mom is in Oklahoma (she flies up every other year).

so on the years we are local. FMIL comes up from Oklahoma. and she is between our house and my bro in law and sis in laws house. on Christmas eve FH and I always go to mass (he goes because it is my families tradition, even though i'm not practicing. I love it on Christmas eve). and then we will cook or eat at home. sometimes a friend hosts people for drinks and we go to that too.

Christmas day, I wake up, put the bird in the oven. then a bit later FH wakes up, we will open presents. I will already have a Kahlua and coffee in hand. If FMIL is at our house, we open the gifts from her. we make an easy breakfast. FMIL goes to other sons house. I finish cooking the bird. and carve it to transport to FH's brothers home. We go there mid afternoon and hang out. I cook dinner there (one day my house will have a dining room to host dinner). then presents/games.

We are really fortunate that FFIL and FMIL get along well. so FFIL will come for dinner. and that way we can just do one Christmas.

On the years we are with my family (which we stay with my aunt/uncle. who are like parents to me). Christmas eve an aunt hosts dinner. Then we go to mass. Then to another aunts house for drinks until way too late. Christmas morning we do gifts with my cousins kids before they go to their dads house. then we do gifts together as adults. cook a big breakfast. later in the day have a big dinner. during the day is always playing some sort of board. my aunt and I start drinking first thing in the am...and just keep the party going all day long!

christmas treeHolidays in your Home! 3

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We live in a small apartment (and we have cats), so we don't have a big tree, but I do have a little one that lights up. We do most of our Christmas celebrations with my parents at their houses, and with my fiance's uncle. I also went to my first Chanukah dinner with a family friend last week, which was so fun and beautiful! I'm honoured to have been invited.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh I should add! I'm similar to your Christmas timeslines hahh!

Christmas Eve - Anniversary Celebrations and Christmas Eve Mass (though I will go at 7pm), Drive to my parents

Christmas - Morning with my parents, lunch with his family, dinner with my family again

Boxing Day - Sleep off the insane amount of food we eat! Hahahh!

Also a tradition my mom and I share is making Baileys Waffles Christmas morning! Topped with Baileys whipped cream and a baileys hot chocolate.... we are tipsy by 10am haha!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I LOOOOOVE Christmas!! My FH and I our dating anniversary is actually Christmas Eve! Which is also the day he proposed to me on haah! So it seems to get better and better every year!

I'll never forget going to his Family's house for Christmas lunch the day after we were engaged and announcing it to everyone! (Well actually one cousin saw my ring and screamed and then the cat was out of the bag haha!)

We do not live together yet however! But next year I know we are going to go hard on Christmas! Probably even host Christmas Lunch! And have our first hosted New Years too!!! So excited!!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I actually recommended hosting and was told it wouldn’t work due to everyone else’s alternating schedules.

So, it’s really taking the joy out of the holiday season. Maybe something will change by then, who knows.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's tough! Have you considered hosting everyone all in one house? Maybe your house? You guys will all be family soon enough and it would make things less stressful I think for you to be able to have everyone in one room rather than traveling back and forth at Christmas! You will want to start new traditions as you start your life together, and if you plan on having kids all of their grandparents will want to participate in watching them Christmas morning. Change is sometimes good! I hope you can figure something out Smiley smile
  • Tyanna
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Whoops, I accidentally hit reply. Hubby hates that I take pictures of everything, as you can tell by the look on his face 😂
  • Tyanna
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Here is a compilation of our disastrous Christmas light ball,

Holidays in your Home! 4

Holidays in your Home! 5

Holidays in your Home! 6
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To be honest, I am so looking forward to post marriage and the holidays together.

My FH’s family is religious and due to that we don’t live together. My family is not religious and I do wish I lived with my FH prior to the wedding, but it is what it is.

Christmas is a bit of a mess this year with his parents taking a vacation during Christmas. We have his grandparents on Xmas Eve with Mass and dinner (I have to work so I will miss most of the day) then we have Christmas Day with my family. Usually we would go to his side (typically his moms side) on Xmas eve and my side Christmas. Although apparently we need to begin alternating years which is difficult for me as the important day for my family has always been the 25th and in his culture the 24th is more important. So I’m a little bitter about alternating.

Later in the week when his parents are home we will do Christmas with them and his siblings.

looking forward to simplifying things (hopefully!) once we are married.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Christmas is my favourite holiday! I love it so much that I celebrate it once in December (English) and once in January (Ukrainian)!! lol

Right now our home is a bit of a mess: see my latest discussion about home reno's

Before meeting my FH Christmas was so easy! I was the youngest out of all of my cousins so the older ones already had families which meant less people to see on Christmas. And we only had to worry about half of my family as we celebrated English Christmas with my Mom's side and Ukrainian Christmas with my Dad's side!

Now we have his family and his parents are split (or really just never together), so we have lots to do! Just last Christmas we had to make 3 stops in one day!! It's insane!!

This year we will be going to his Aunt's house on the 23rd (Dad's side), his other Aunt's house on Christmas eve (Mom's side), his other Aunt's house right after that (Still Mom's side), Christmas morning breakfast at my Mom & Dad's, and then I think we have supper that day at his Aunt's house (Step-Dad's side). That or the step-dad's supper is to be switched with one of his other aunts on Christmas Eve.....

THANK GOD FOR OPERATION RED NOSE right???????

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The holidays (Xmas/NYE) is my favorite time of the year, it was a huge production growing up and I guess it still is at my parents' house!
    Now that we live far from our parents/families, we can't always go home to be with them. My FH's family really enjoys going somewhere warm (Florida the last couple of years) for the holidays.

So we've been doing a 3-year-split : Year 1 back to see our families, year 2 somewhere warm and year 3 by ourselves where we live. This year, we're going to Palm Springs with his parents and older brother, while his younger sister is in Wales with her kids and hubby's family.

It'll be my first year not in Canada for the holidays, so that'll be a shock for sure! I'm pumped to be experiencing something different though. So because we're not staying here, we didn't decorate our place, which bummed me out. I've been playing xmas music every weekend of December to make up for it haha.

I'm also reaaaaaaally looking forward to next year's holidays at home by ourselves as newlyweds! The first year we stayed home, it was amazing and a life changer: Waking up late, lazying around the living room and opening gifts just to two of us. It was perfect and relaxing haha.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics