Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Newbie August 2020 Alberta

How many hours to hire a photographer?

Sarah, on August 13, 2019 at 14:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 23

Hi all,

We are starting to shop around for photographers and many offer different prices based on the hours they are booked (6, 8, or 10 hours). I was wondering what would be the best time allocation to ensure some of the prep is captured (bridal party candids, mom helping me get dressed, dad's first look), ceremony, bridal party photos and family portraits, first dance, and maybe a few of the speeches/dance?

Thanks!

Sarah

23 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 21, 2019 at 12:21
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did 14 hours. but its cuz we want photos for getting ready in the morning up until the dancing starts. make a timeline for your day of and then see what photos you want and count how many hours they should come for

• Sondra
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Sondra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is so helpful! Thanks!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was thinking I would just have someone 4-6 hours as my first look and the ceremony are the only moments I'm really concerned about but I have found a photographer who is fairly new and a friend that is the same price for the whole day (10 hours) as some who would only do 4 hours and charge me more.
  • V
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Vivian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hired my photographer for 6 hours only but she brings a second photographer with her. My ceremony doesn’t start until 5:30pm. And I don’t care for pictures of me doing makeup or hair. So I have her come around 2:30/3pm when the makeup is almost done. I also don’t have a wedding party so plenty of time to capture first look, couple portraits, family formals before ceremony starts. We also have time to do a few sunset pictures within these 6 hours. Have a list of what you want or don’t care for, and speak to the photographer, they typically can put together a timeline for you and gauge hours needed.
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I booked for 10hours 12pm - 10pm; this privdes time for pictures while getting ready as well as through the events of the day including our dance
  • Sarah
    Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd encourage you to write out a list of priorities!

Then work backwards from the "last time" you'd need a photographer there.

Generally 6-7 hours Covers First Look to Dance Floor

8-9 Hours Covers Getting Ready to Dance Floor

11-1 Hours is for those weddings with longer ceremonies, traditional elements like a Tea Ceremony, receptions with a 3-5 course meal, or long travel time between photo locations/ceremony and reception!

Ways to make the most of your time

1 - Bridal Prep - Having them arrive in the last moments, not AS you are getting ready. Timing your hair and make up to end 30-45 minutes BEFORE you put on your dress will leave time for detail photos, robe photos all done up, putting jewelry on, opening gifts and getting in your dress!

2. Prep Close To One Another - If you can, having the groom and the bride prep in the same place (hotel/neighborhood) etc is super helpful!

3. First Dance - Try a first dance at the Entrance to your reception! Everyone will be seated and all eyes will be on you already! Smiley smile

Hope that helps.

• M
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have booked two photographers for 10hrs but then have the option to extend time if needed for an extra cost per hr. Our ceremony starts at 3:30pm.

• Lindsay
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We were also originally going to do two photographers but the photographer we hired places a camera at the back and he has a remote control he holds in his hand so we can capture both the front and back views while I walked down the aisle.

Doing it it this way saved us money and it’s equally as effective as hiring two.
  • Lindsay
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi There,

We hired our photographer for 10 hours of coverage.

Our ceremony is starting at 3, so we are having him start around 12 so we can capture ya getting ready, and then we will send him home at 10. This way he can capture the getting ready, ceremony, cocktail reception and the reception itself. We might cut him at 8 hours, however right now we have him for 10 hours
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've hired my photographer for the entire day from getting ready to the sparkler send off at 9. It all depends on what is most important to you.
  • Koryn
    Beginner May 2022 British Columbia
    Koryn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My photographer is doing 4 hours of coverage but he takes so many extra photos it gives us an option 😊
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have 2 photographers and 12 hour coverage for the day but to save a bit of money, my lead photographer is leaving after 8 hours and my 2nd photographer is staying the extra time (because the lead photographer's rate is more). It was important to me to have both photographers there for getting ready photos, and for the ceremony (we are not doing a first look so I want to capture the walking down the aisle moment from both viewpoints). For the reception, I want photos of my room before anyone enters, and I also want family photos taken before the reception begins. After that, I felt like I only needed 1 photographer to capture the rest and I don't really feel like I need PROFESSIONAL photos of the dancing/everyone getting drunk lol

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked two photographers for 10 hours and hoping to cover getting ready to part of the reception. The package includes a photobooth which they'll do after all the major stuff is done, so that was part of the reason for the extra time too. Otherwise, 8 hours probably would have been fine.

• Cassie
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did 5 hours and it captured: groomsmen photos, venue, ceremony, bridal party and family photos after ceremony, speeches, cake cut. I would definitely tack on 3-5 hours more if you want getting ready pics too and dancing.

My ceremony was at 4pm and he started at 3-8pm.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ve hired two photographers for the full day! this will allow us to cover everything you’ve mentioned, from getting ready to our first dance and speeches
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Like the other ladies it really depends on your ceremony time and what you want your timeline to be.
    We have an 8 hour package but are adding an additional hour to make sure we aren’t rushed.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are just going with the minimum of 6 hours. Plenty of time to get the photos we want from 3:30-9:30
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We booked our photographer and videographer for 10 hours, Ceremony is at 3pm followed by Cocktail hour and Reception. They will be there to capture the middle of getting ready up to Sparklers exit, they won't be staying until the end of the dance party

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this all depends on when you're ceremony starts and how long the reception is. For me, my ceremony doesn't start until 3:30. My hair & makeup apparently takes around 3-4 hours so I am only having my photography come around 2 to get pictures of the venue set up and me when I am ALMOST ready. Most people don't really like their getting ready photos just after they woke up and look tired lol. My reception is only 5 hours, and there isn't much point of the photographer staying all night. I only hired her for 6 hours (2-8). The reception finishes at 9, so it works out perfect.

• Petra
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Petra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you gotta figure out what time your day is starting and ending and what you want captured. I’m having 12 hours but might be adding more hours to it because my day is starting at 9am and ceremony is at 2pm but I’m Croatian and we have a couple of cultural things done in the morning and are heading for picture before and after the ceremony
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is why I am doing a first look photo! That way I can keep the hours down! I know she is my friend taking the pictures but I want to pay her a reasonable amount for her time even if she isn't looking for any compensation!

For me: need her for just as we finish getting ready for those putting on the dress pics and the pics of the dress on the hanger so I'm thinking 1pm to get those. Then first look pics with the FH. Then family pics and wedding party pics can last up until 4:30 latest. Ceremony at 5:30, just real quick. Supper at 6. Do first dance, father/mother & daughter/son dance, etc. and then once it's dark get some pics next to the fire and on the dock at night! Should be done by 9pm no problem!

Therefore - 8 hours is totally enough if there is no travel time and if you do first look pics or just have everything super cute and short!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To determine what package and hours are needed for the day, decide what time is the ceremony leading into the reception. The time given by the hall or venue will allow your photographer how long they are looking at hours wise. Consider the factor of a 2-3 hours for getting ready beforehand and group pictures after the ceremony (chosen to do so) time wise too. This way you know how long you need the photographer for the day.

Creating a timeline for the day does help to know what time is the starting and ending towards the reception. The price will then allow you to work on that basis towards your budget. Alter the package if needed by talking to your photographer if something is not needed, the price may be come down too. We didn't get the photo album so that saved us $200 from $1500 full package.

When looking at the timing and picture sessions with family and alone as a couple along with the ceremony/reception, 12 hours was our day full for photographer and videographer. keeping in mind that the videographer left at midnight and photographer at 12:30. Timing was 1pm to 1am.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are looking for a full day, i.e. from morning (bridal party shots/getting ready) to evening dancing, you will need at least 8 probably. I have 10 hours for my wedding and my ceremony is at 12:30 p.m.

What is the timeline for your wedding? When is your ceremony? What time is your reception going to start? Once you have a timeline of your day, you can figure out how many hours you'll need with your photographer.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics