Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Beginner October 2020 Ontario

Inviting to wedding events

Sara, on March 20, 2019 at 08:21 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12

Hello,

My FH and I are going to be having an intimate ceremony and reception with family only plus our bridal party followed by our friends joining us after dinner for snacks, drinks & dancing. I have read posts about how it's not polite to invite people to wedding events like the bridal shower, and other events when they are not invited to the actual wedding. My question is, since we're inviting friends to come after the ceremony and dinner is it still impolite to invite them to wedding events?

Thanks in advance!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel, on March 21, 2019 at 14:29
  • Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's interesting because the thought has changed around this. Showers used to include everyone, especially those who were not invited to the wedding, in order to give them a chance to celebrate with the bride. Now that seems to be considered to be rude.
    Just consider those you are inviting and whether or not you think they will undertand the situation.
    As for those you're inviting for the second half of the wedding, you should definitely still send them an invitation (a separate one that states only the parts they will be included in), otherwise it might make them feel like after thoughts!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding like this once (my cousins). She didn't have a bridal shower and did the ceremony months prior because both her father and her husbands fathers are sick and they weren't sure if they were going to make it. Luckily everyone did and it worked out. So no one minded this.

• S
    Newbie August 2020 Quebec
    Stephanie-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is a bit rude inviting them to wedding events such as a bridal shower etc. when you are excluding them from the wedding ceremony, but inviting them/some to the reception for the dinner, snacks and drinks (are you expecting them to bring a gift as well to the wedding?) from experience I have had; I was in a situation where I was asked to go to a bridal shower, and engagement party but was not invited to the ceremony only the late reception (after the dinner), it felt tacky like all the person wanted was gifts and it was more numbers for other events than the meaning behind it. I think I would have felt better being invited to just the late reception (after the ceremony and dinner have finished)

Wording is the biggest issue because you do not want to upset or offend people please join us for our late night reception to include dancing and drinks but again I would emphasize to please not bring a gift we just want you a part of our special day.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Create a reception card for those friends to attend dinner, dance and snacks.

Couple name

Would be honoured to have your presence at our Reception

at

Time

Reception location

address

Dress code (optional)

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How would I even begin to word the invitation??

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think for sure you can invite whoever you want.

I am also having a small wedding and not inviting many people to any of it.. ceremony or reception and I am inviting some people to my shower. It's a joint shower and we have included a note in the invitations to everyone who is not invited to the wedding explaining that. We just basically said - we're having a small wedding but still wanted to celebrate with some of you so please don't be offended and we understand if you can't make it.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think this is rude! I mean as long as the guests you are inviting to the shower understand! It happened with me, My FH and I recently have new jobs and decided we can't invite anyone from the new jobs as we just don't have space. I've gotten close to a few girls at my work and asked them if they wanted to come to my shower to celebrate! I made it super clear that I did not want or expect gifts from them as they wouldn't be invited to the wedding and they were all super happy to join the shower!

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So I should still give my friends a formal invitation to the wedding for after the dinner, right? instead of making like a group page for them i feel like that would be less personal

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think this is a problem at all. People are starting to understand that weddings are super expensive, and the guest lists are getting smaller. It also gives people a chance to celebrate this next step in your life!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that would be fine as long as they get a formal invitation to the reception and it's received before the other events take place!

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Becky!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Sara,

I have went to events like bridal, bachorlette, and all this prior and been only invited to reception. I was fine with it and understood their budget and reasons why I was only invited to one section of the wedding. It honestly depends on the person if they will be offended. In your case most people should be understanding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics