Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julie
Expert March 2019 Ontario

Makeup Trial? Worth it $?

Julie, on January 6, 2019 at 08:15 Posted in Beauty 0 20
I am wondering if you are having a trial with your makeup artist? The cost is $65 which is half what I will pay the day of our Wedding. If so, when are you going to have it? Besides our ceremony rehearsal, I'm not aware of any dates of anything pre Wedding (I love surprises) We are meeting with a photographer this afternoon and if we go with her, she includes an engagement photo shoot. I am thinking that would be a great day for my hair and makeup trials... except I don't want my FH to know what my hair and makeup will look on our Wedding day. What are you doing?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on January 26, 2019 at 20:31
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you all. I have my makeup trial on Friday Morning and our engagement shoot that Afternoon. I won't have her do exact Wedding day makeup but I will get a good idea of styles. Hair trials are often with my BF & MOH being my stylist. She is even doing my FHs last hair cut before our Wedding the same day as our Engagement shoot.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally worth it! I wanted a natural look for my wedding but couldn’t decide if I wanted normal makeup or airbrushed so I did my trial and we played around with my makeup until we got the look I loved. Also I went to a concert with my friend that night and learned that my makeup will last for hours lol
    I find the hair wasn’t so important to trial but the makeup for sure was
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2019 Quebec
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Absolutely worth it! You need to know ahead of time if the MUA is up to par, and make changes without being in a tight time frame to make it to your wedding.

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congratulations! You must be super excited!
    My hair dresser is my BF & 1 of my MOHs so I'll have several trials as to us, that's a fun Aft. I booked my makeup trial for the same day as our engagement shoot 😀 I hope you have a wonderful Wedding!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would argue that your make up trial is 10x more important than a hair trial. I'd suggest if you don't want to "waste" your makeup trial, book it for a day where you've got engagement photos, your bridal shower, your bachelorette... or even just a date night or something. You need to wear it for several hours (preferably most of the day), and take photos, see if its too dark, too fair, fades, rubs off, etc.... VERY important to do!

I'm doing my own make up, and getting married next Saturday. I did my own make up trial yesterday, for my bachelorette. I did it in the morning, and when I got home at night it was still almost fully in tact! Win in my books!

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Absolutely worth it. It would stress me out so much not to have the trial. I need to know that the makeup is going to be what I want.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our engagement party was in March 2016. I found a "makeup artist " online and thought her work looked nice & only $45.00 with lashes. I learned that you get what you pay for. She couldn't get 1 of my lashes on properly so I was worried it was going to fall off all night. I also felt like she made my color look so pale that when I 1st looked in the mirror my response was ... gasp! I look like a ghost! I have booked a makeup artist that works on Weddings regularly with my Bf who is a hairdresser. I'm definitely glad I've booked a trial.
  • Julia
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t specifically go for a trial but I had the same artist do my makeup for my engagement shoot Smiley smile 2 birds with one stone! It may not be exactly the same for the wedding but I have a very good idea of what to expect!
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Use a face and eye make up primer (i HIGHLY recommend urban decay for the eye primer) and buy a makeup setting spray (again urban decay best on the market). both of these products come in a smaller size (bigger than trial) for a great price. these 2 products will make my make up last a whole night. (hell...I've slept in my makeup and next morning it has looked like 70% good).

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you all so much!!! I was always going to have hair trials. My bf/moh has her own sal0n so I'm lucky! I will definitely be doing a makeup trial. I will have the complete opposite hair style but as I don't have any other dates I know that I could use makeup for, my photographer thinks it is a great idea to have my makeup trial that day. If I have to I'll pay her to show me wedding eyes and then do something different for engagement photos with a different color. I'm so glad I asked for your advice! I have already emailed my makeup artist! Thank you 🤗👰🥂
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So pretty!!! I really like your hair too!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Overall consensus is to do the trial!! I will be doing my makeup most likely but with that being said, I will be doing LOTS of trials on myself!!! Need to know what will look good and how long it will last!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am definitely having a trial! I don't want any surprises on my wedding day!

I'm booking my trials on a weekend I'll be back in town, for a cousin's wedding.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely do the trial, but i’m just going to be devil’s advocate here and say that maybe don’t plan anything for the day you get your trial done. I work as a stylist and there have been countless occasions where a bride will come in and not end up liking what she thought she would in terms of hair and makeup. The trial is wonderful because it gives the opportunity to ensure that the big day is exactly what you want with no surprises, but heaven forbid you hate the way your makeup turns out at the trial, you don’t want to be going off to some pre wedding event with a face full of makeup that you hate.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely do a trial so you and your make up artist know what you want for your big day, without figuring it out the day of.

I'll be doing mine in August on the day of my bridal shower so the women will be able to see my look, but not my FH.

• Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Absolutely yes to a trial! Worth it completely if you’re at all worried about your day-if look. I had one done and I definitely have a few things I want to change just slightly. I wouldn’t be happy with the look on my wedding day.
  • Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Julie, I would definitely do a hair and makeup trial just because it will put you at ease for the actual day and to avoid any unwanted surprises. Also, it’ll allow you to get to know your artist better, as well as make any changes that may not work or if don’t like. I haven’t set up a date for my hair and makeup trial yet, but planning to a few months before the wedding on any random date and no special events planned after lol
  • Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So pretty! Hair and makeup look amazing!! Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also sorry!! Re: engagement photos I agree I wouldnt want my FH to see my wedding makeup until the wedding! I personally wouldnt do the trial for any photos!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    100% yes do the trial!!!! I went into mine with some of my own ideas and my artist played with them and put together something I loved more than I ever expected! I also originally wanted a large headpiece but after what she did I'm now going with much less which I think will look so much better! Also a trial is good to make sure you like your artist too! There are a few changes I want to mu makeup yhe day of the wedding so doing the trial was a great way for me to see what edits I want done for the day of! I didnt want my hair to be up originally but she did it in such a way I looooove it!!!!

Makeup Trial? Worth it $? 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics