Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tiffany
Frequent user August 2023 Ontario

Wedding colours

Tiffany, on March 19, 2019 at 20:42 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 36
I am newly engaged and loving every minute of it. As I prepare to begin the wedding planning process I was wondering how you all came up with your wedding colours/theme? Did you choose this on your own or did you involve your partner as well?

36 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on April 22, 2019 at 19:25
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the look of blue and orange together and had wanted it as my wedding colours for awhile. I did ask my husband but he didn’t have an opinion. One thing I found though, with using unpopular colours like that, it was hard to buy second hand. Anything I wanted I either had to buy or make. I liked that the colours were different but it was also hard to find things in my colours (especially the burnt orange!)
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Tiffany! Congrats on your engagement! My husband already knew I would pick a neutral color since I am known to mostly wear colors like black/white/grey. So we ended up going for a classic grey for the dresses. and blush pinks for the bouquets.

ThemeWedding colours 1

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yay loving all these 2021 brides that are showing up. we picked our colours based on the time of year and my FH favorite colour. we are doing Red, black and gold. it will be a kind gothic wedding because i love halloween

• Claire
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I always picture my theme will be in my favorite color which is Teal. As I was looking at Pinterest for some ideas, I realized it's not only my wedding, it's "our" wedding so I thought I have to consider what he wants too eventhough my FH told me I can pick whatever I want. So, we will gonna do lilac/lavender color instead kinda suits with Sept weather, end of summer start of fall.

Wedding colours 2
  • Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is this spring and I always felt pink (blush) is a color to match and I like gold with blush
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry, i looked at what flowers were in season and then i started picking colours from that. I am using the cherry blossom as my main inspiration for colours...pinks, whites, but am still deciding on a 3rd colour.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I struggled with choosing a colour scheme too. Since we are getting married early may, i loked
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One of our favourite things to do together is watch sunsets, so we picked yellow, orange and red for our colours Smiley smile

• R
    Newbie February 2021 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancee and I both have red as our favourite colour. I want a winter wedding with glitter and anything sparkly that reminds of snow. I love snow on a sunny day that hasn't been stepped on. So our colour scheme is red/white/silver/black.
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are welcome Tiffany. Happy planning!

• Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually had a different colour scheme in mind, with a shade of pink being the main colour. As we picked out our wedding party, I felt as though pink wasnt fitting with my bridesmaids or even my flowers. Looking at bridesmaids dresses online on night, I saw the most beautiful dark green dresses and I fell in love. I showed my MOH and chief bridesmaid and they loved every dress in the colour and it compliments all skin tones. My FH already knew he wanted a navy blue suit so that's how I ended up with Dark Green & Navy Blue as my colours with cream/white flowers. I'm leaning towards a pale pink wedding dress so I can still have my signature colour on my big day!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went through different colour phases LOL. For me it was really hard to choose. My FH didn’t mind whatever we did. He thought a light blue would be nice, so we settled on Tifffany blue, ivory, white and hints of silver.
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like the idea of having my fiancé selecting a colour and then picking a complementary colour with it that I like. Thanks for this idea!
  • K
    Curious June 2019 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My partner was adamant that we have a variety of lavender and lilac... I went along with it but it isn’t my favourite. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Nothing to lose sleep over for me though!
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Let the fun begin!

I asked my fiancé to select a color. He decided on plum, so I thought dark teal would go nicely with plum and then we picked silver as our final color.

The theme became very apparent once we had our venue selected. It is a wooden gazebo located in Jasper stables, so our theme is rustic, yet classic - kind of like me!!!

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had gone back and forth between a couple of colors, but in the end we narrowed it down to about 4 colors that we could both agree on and that all work together Smiley smile They are a little bit darker compared to most beach weddings, but we're really excited about the romantic feel it will give off.

• T
    Curious September 2019 British Columbia
    Tianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I both wanted to do candy apple red (purple was my first choice) because that's one of our favorite colors! But after meeting a couple decorators, the red that we wanted was to hard to come by. So we decided to go with plum purple and silver. Our ceremony is outside in a forest (in September) and people mentioned that plum purple doesn't really suit it..... We didn't care! We both love the outdoors but love elegant/nice things. So you get the outdoors part with our ceremony and our elegant side indoors at our reception - best of both worlds!

• Mimi
    Curious October 2020 Alberta
    Mimi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've planned my dream wedding since I was a teenager and originally planned rose gold/blush pink/navy blue colors. Rose gold and blush pink are my favorite colors. But now is a different story...

My fiancee always love GREEN! Her whole room was green and filled with green things, and stuff toys when I met her. (It's not like this anymore) So, when deciding on wedding colors, I wanted to incorporate her favorite color. When it comes down to it, she doesn't really care about these things so I could've went with my teenager-dream wedding's color pallete. But I always, always, always keep reminding her that it's her wedding too. So, I decided on our main colors would be Rose Gold and Emerald Green with little hints of lighter tones of these colors.

And no matter what season we choose to get married and no matter what venue we choose... these will be our colors for the wedding.

• S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey! Congratulations! I’m pretty recently engaged as well ☺️ My fiancé and I are having a spring wedding but our colours are burgundy, white/ivory, and blush with lots and lots of greenery incorporated into the florals and decor! My fiancé and I are not “light/pastel colours” kind of people so we knew we wanted to go for something darker and richer ☺️ The venues we chose also bodes well for darker colours like burgundy, navy, emerald green, etc.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I initially wanted to do a blush/green/gold theme or a purple/green theme. I was going to do the purple/green cause it looked better with the venue we chose but then while looking stuff up online I found a purple/navy blue/gold theme and fell in love with how elegant it looked and how well it fit the venue so we chose this. My fiancé agreed it looked nice but that was all he cared about lol
  • Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I originally planned to do rose gold/blush pink/ivory kind of theme, as I thought the barn was grey-ish in colour but then I discovered it was red and since it will be in the background of most of our photos (it's right behind our ceremony venue and most of the activities are on the lawn), I wanted to find something that would go better. I was stuck on the blush pink though (it's my favourite colour) and couldn't decide on another...so I asked my partner to pick a colour for our wedding, he said blue. I typed "blue barn wedding" into Pinterest and used what I found there as inspiration for the rest.

Look up weddings on Pinterest/Google. Look through the photos. What speaks to you? What pictures get you excited? Use those to guide you! You'll figure it out
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had Pinterest boards of different colour palettes way before getting engaged to my FH. I had a few colour combos for pretty much every season, so I had options no matter what season. But every palette I had had a teal/turquoise colour on it - so I knew I'd be using that somewhere.

The peacock theme and teal/purple colours stood out to me the most when it came time to pick out colours. My FH asked me when we got engaged if I already had colours picked out (he knows me so well, he knew of the wedding inspiration Pinterest board lol) and I blurted out the teal/purple peacock colours. He was good with that so his involvement was that.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I found this beautiful deep green dress online and decided that was the colour.

Honestly though....the green is going to be the bridesmaid dresses, and that's kinda it. We'll have greenery down the lengths of the tables, but like or invitations are navy and gold, and a lot of the decor is gold and white, and our flowers are all over the place and super dramatic with deep reds, soft pinks, whites, and light blues...

The guys in the bridal party won't have green on them at all. They're wearing grey and probably navy ties and pocket squares (fiance is wearing a navy suit with grey tie). Basically the white and gold is going to tie everything together lol

• Kelsey
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm doing little rose gold hints here and there Smiley winking we have little rose gold tea lights for the tables, a rose gold runner for the head table and my shoes are rose gold Smiley smile

• Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I never thought of this. My engagement ring is rose gold as well! Something for me to look at. Thank you so much.

• Kelsey
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well I knew that I wanted to incorporate rose gold, my engagement ring is rose gold and I just adore it. We looked up a lot of different colour combinations but found that burgundy and navy will go perfect with rose gold and will be great for fall!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats first of all.

The colour/theme was easy as going modern white & black. The invitation had dark tones. White as the opposite to keep it together.
    Everything else followed after to keep the theme simple with coloured beads in a vase.

• Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you thank you. We are going to be going to look at venues soon. So we have colours narrowed down but the idea of looking at the venue first never crossed my mind at all.

• Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much. This has really helped. We keep going back and forth on colours. So it has been a challenge. We have already narrowed our venue and our guest list is intimate so the colours is really that hard part.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My favourite flower since I was a little girl was the blue/purple orchid! I knew I wanted these in my bridal bouquet 100%! My FH knew this and we worked our colours around the flower (he was okay with this!)

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That took a little time for me and my FH - first we decided on the season (Fall), which got rid of certain colour schemes like red and green (Christmas), Purple and yellow (Easter), etc.

But then after all of that; we both realized we didn't really need a theme!

So then it was my favourite colour Purple (or to be more specific - Plum), and his favourite colour Blue (or rather - Teal). But because we didn't want to look like a peacock; we needed to add an accent colour or two.

This took the most time because at first I was thinking orange, or maybe red, or yellow, or all Smiley tongue

In the end I realized that copper is a mix of orange and red and it looks great!

TL;DR: Pick what colours either complement you guys or colours that you love in general!

P.S. Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the WW community Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations and welcome to the Wedding Wire community Smiley smile I spoke with my FH about it and to get his input. He liked the grey suit idea and I wanted navy for the girls, he wasn't a fan and when i saw in person on my girls I wasn't either. I brought swatches home and we picked out of the different blues a new color. Ended up going with Sapphire

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics