Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Genis
Frequent user January 2019 Alberta

Winter Wedding Flowers

Genis, on March 20, 2018 at 18:34 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
Hi everyone! My fiance and I are planning a winter wedding for January 2019, we've just been told by a florist that the reality is that flowers aren't going to last long if our ceremony goes ahead outdoors and it is below 0, the flowers will basically be done & will look crappy in photos! Has anyone had a winter wedding and have any suggestions for bouquets??

18 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on April 13, 2018 at 15:26
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello! I'm a Jan 2019 bride as well! I'm doing roses and wild thistles for my bouquets, and we are not doing additional flowers for the decor. We are sticking to lights, candles, pinecones and greenery. My theory was flowers don't last in January, because they aren't supposed to exist in January, so why pay a LOT of money to have out of season flowers? I think natural and rustic greenery and wood accents are much better suited to January. My weather will be a little milder than yours (possibly, maybe), so you could always use silk options for something like roses in your bouquet.

Winter Wedding Flowers 1

Winter Wedding Flowers 2

Winter Wedding Flowers 3

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This are beautiful ideas. Now I wish I did winter wedding. Great idea!
  • Genis
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi all, thanks for the replies, sorry I am so slow!!

I think we are looking at lots of nice wintery greens, pinecones and possibly a few silk flowers int there for some pops of colour!! I'm pretty excited

• Danielle
    Curious November 2018 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would try artificial flowers!

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like this idea!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're not sure about silk flowers you can also look into paper, brooch, or wood flowers. How long would the flowers have to be outside if you do go with real flowers?

• Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I'm glad!! Makes it even easier. I'll be ordering soon

• Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My friend just did this for her winter wedding- it was beautiful!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could have 2 sets of bouquets if you like, one for inside and one for outside. The one for inside could be real flowers and the one for outside could be a mix of evergreen boughs and winter bushes and/or pine cones.

mwds10666_win11_patricia_joeseph_0004_hd

d2d8e717dafa2f304b98b8b2da81d0cd--winter

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I mean they're not the #1 100% best looking, but they are pretty enough (Which seems to be my planning mantra at this point lol). And it's just for the bouquet. That's why we are doing real evergreens for the areas where guests will see it up close like the centerpieces Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was in a wedding in March in Grande Prairie, so still very much winter. We had pictures taken outside and it was close to -30 that day. These are the flowers we had, although they're not very clear in this picture. I don't remember what they are called though...

FlowersWinter Wedding Flowers 4

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There are some websites and places to get amazing silk flowers from. We have some decorative flowers that will be fake, we got them from afloral.com and they turned out great for being fake.
  • Genis
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I went to a wedding last year and was not a fan of the look of the fake flowers, are the michaels ones quite realistic? Mine will be beginning of January in lake Louise. So right in the middle of winter!
    Ill have to have a look at Michaels for sure
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is in Mid November (which is basically winter here in Ontario). I've bought some fake flowers from Michael's and plan on making my own bouquet and my grooms boutonniere from them, that way they last and we can save them for sentimental purposes. For the rest of the decorations we are using evergreens so that they are more durable Smiley smile
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a thread asking about flowers as my fiancé is allergic. I was told by another bride that she is ordering silk flowers from alibaba.com because you can get anything from there. I haven’t looked but that might be a good place to get flowers and put your bouquet together. I’m also having a winter wedding Smiley smile
  • Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in the same boat as well. My wedding is in December. I am thinking I will go with silk flowers. Something like the photo

Winter Wedding Flowers 5
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can look into fake flowers, you can get really nice realistic looking ones .
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't done a winter wedding.. however, I've seen some really pretty silk flower bouquets or even Paper Flower bouquets.

I've also seen some people do brooch bouquets.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics